Contact: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development

Vol. 1, Issue 1, Part A (2019)

Recent developments and advances on medicinal chemistry of Anti-convulsants drugs

Author(s):

Shweta Gupta, Himanshu Joshi

Abstract:

Epilepsy is not a disease, but a syndrome of different cerebral disorders of the CNS. This syndrome is characterized by paroxysmal, excessive, and hyper synchronous discharges of large numbers of neurons. The first major division of epilepsy is localization-related (i.e., focal, local, partial) epilepsies, which account for about 60% of all epilepsies. The remainder, about 40%, is composed of generalized epilepsies. The most common, and most difficult to treat, seizures in Adult patients are complex partial seizures, whereas primary generalized tonic-clonic (formerly, “Grand mal" epilepsy) seizures respond in most patients to treatment with anticonvulsants. Thus a need for new drugs with a greater benefit as related to side effects and tolerability, even at the expense of efficacy, when compared to the existing antiepileptic agents.

Pages: 04-08  |  1883 Views  905 Downloads

How to cite this article:
Shweta Gupta, Himanshu Joshi. Recent developments and advances on medicinal chemistry of Anti-convulsants drugs. Int. J. Pharm. Res. Dev. 2019;1(1):04-08. DOI: 10.33545/26646862.2019.v1.i1a.2